Raleigh, N.C. — Public health officials say a new case of Legionnaires’ disease has been reported. However, the person did not contract it during the Mountain State Fair.
Officials said the person attended the Quilt Show, which was held at the Western North Carolina Agricultural Center after the fair ended on Sept. 15. The name of the person has not been released.
North Carolina health officials say three people have died from an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease linked to a hot tub display at the fair.
Legionnaires’ disease is a form of pneumonia caused by infection with the Legionella bacteria. People can get Legionnaires’ disease when they breathe in aerosolized water (small droplets of water in the air) that contain the bacteria. Symptoms usually begin two to 10 days after being exposed to the bacteria.
“We don’t know how or where this person might have been exposed to the Legionella bacteria,” said Dr. Zack Moore, State Epidemiologist, in a press release. “It is possible that they were exposed at the WNC Ag Center, but Legionella bacteria are very common in the environment so we can’t rule out exposure in another location.”
Preliminary findings from the public health outbreak investigation suggest that exposure to Legionella during the Mountain State Fair occurred in the Davis Event Center, particularly during the last five days of the fair. Additional analysis of information collected during the investigation is ongoing.
Before Thursday’s news, there had been 140 cases of Legionnaires’ disease confirmed in 19 North Carolina counties and multiple states, officials said. Three people have died and 94 people hae been hospitalized.