Sydney girl suffers horror infection after getting a henna tattoo in Bali – Daily Mail

Family of young girl who suffered a horror infection after getting a henna tattoo in Bali fear she will be scarred for life

  • Young girl was left with an aggressive infection  after getting henna tattoo
  • Girl’s father said she could be scarred for life and told other to beware of danger 
  • Other travellers shared their bad experience with henna tattoo’s in response

The father of a young girl who contracted a serious infection after getting a henna tattoo in Bali have warned other parents of the dangers.   

Daniel Worley-Nunn, from Sydney, took his family on a holiday to Bali in October, where the group – including his 11-year-old daughter Amelia – got henna tattoos. 

‘The tattoo was very dark black, unlike the henna my daughter had had in the past. We washed as much of it off that night before boarding the plane,’ he told Daily Mail Australia.

Daniel Worley-Nunn, from Sydney, took his family (pictured) on a holiday to Bali in October, where the group - including his 11-year-old daughter Amelia - got henna tattoos

Daniel Worley-Nunn, from Sydney, took his family (pictured) on a holiday to Bali in October, where the group - including his 11-year-old daughter Amelia - got henna tattoos

Daniel Worley-Nunn, from Sydney, took his family (pictured) on a holiday to Bali in October, where the group – including his 11-year-old daughter Amelia – got henna tattoos

'The tattoo was very dark black, unlike the henna my daughter had had in the past. We washed as much of it off that night before boarding the plane,' he told Daily Mail Australia

'The tattoo was very dark black, unlike the henna my daughter had had in the past. We washed as much of it off that night before boarding the plane,' he told Daily Mail Australia

‘The tattoo was very dark black, unlike the henna my daughter had had in the past. We washed as much of it off that night before boarding the plane,’ he told Daily Mail Australia 

When they got back to Sydney the tattoo was dark but there was no sign of a reaction until two weeks later when the tattoo completely faded. 

‘When it did there was a red bumpy type rash underneath. Amelia complained of it being itchy so we took her to a doctor,’ he said.

Mr Worley-Nunn said they were told to apply cream but it made it worse and it began to blister and swell.

‘We started to apply betadine to the area which seemed to ease the itch and reduce the swelling,’ he said.

‘Since then we’ve started to apply a burn cream to the area after being told it is a chemical burn, most likely caused by a chemical in the ink or hair dye that was used.’

Mr Worley-Nunn said his daughter is taking anti-histamines twice a day and using the burn cream three times a day.

Mr Worley-Nunn said they were told to apply cream to Amelia's (pictured) knee) but it made it worse and it began to blister and swell

Mr Worley-Nunn said they were told to apply cream to Amelia's (pictured) knee) but it made it worse and it began to blister and swell

Mr Worley-Nunn said they were told to apply cream to Amelia’s (pictured) knee) but it made it worse and it began to blister and swell

‘We don’t know if it will scar and leave her with this for the rest of her life,’ he said, but he wanted to share it with other people.

Mr Worley-Nunn said he wanted to share what happened to Amelia so no other child went through the same thing. 

‘What we thought would be a fun thing for her, turned into what could be a lifelong reminder of the pain she is going through,’ he said.

‘No person deserves that. I just hope others will take note and not let their children get these types of “temporary” tattoos overseas. It’s really not worth it.’ 

Henna tattoos are typically brown and mixed with dye from plants, however some are mixed with chemicals and dirt which can lead to infection. 

Other travellers shared their bad experience with henna tattoos in response to Daniel’s post.

‘Sadly what was used was most likely a fake henna. Usually really safe, I’ve had them done many times but only with the real deal,’ one woman said.

The father said the burn from the henna tattoo still had not healed a month after getting it done

The father said the burn from the henna tattoo still had not healed a month after getting it done

The father said the burn from the henna tattoo still had not healed a month after getting it done 

She said once she had a bad reaction when the tattoo artist used fake henna – leaving her with a painful burn that only faded with the help of medications. 

Another father was grateful for Mr Worley-Nunn’s warning.

‘Thanks for posting this as my daughter wanted one last visit. I’m like you and haven’t heard of the dangers that others have mentioned. Hope it heals quickly,’ the man wrote. 

The Australian Government does have a warning in place for travellers to Bali about henna tattoos.  

‘Avoid temporary black henna tattoos. The dye often causes serious skin reactions,’ the warning said.

‘In June 2019, a serious case highlighted the risks of black henna tattoos.’ 

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.